Friday, July 6, 2012





At a little after 11am, the temp is 80 degrees and rising.  It's pleasantly cool in the hermitage and there's a gentle breeze.  The sky is innocent blue with cottony clouds drifting wispily across the sky.  The brook is singing, the birds are singing and it looks to be a pleasant summer day.  Things are quiet and peaceful in the 'hood' as well.  There've been few passing cars or people.   


This past Saturday I removed some of my things that have been stored at my mother's, in her garage attic.  I knew there were 2 soda crates filled with past paintings, had no idea that I'd discover 3 more soda crates, also filled with paintings.  I'm feeling semi-overwhelmed by the load of stuff I brought home.  


The original 24 paintings I discovered in my sister's barn -- the ones that prompted me to head in the direction of spending my summer working on them in my garage -- are coming along well, so I've been spending what little bits of work-time repairing a few of those 'newer' old paintings.  


The painting I worked on this morning is from my 'Vermont Era.'  The subject is 2 apple trees in a field that was behind the house I lived in then.  In the distance is Jay Peak.  Memories of that time are flooding back as I work on this painting.  There's much to process in my mind.  As far as painting goes, what I've been doing is re-stating;  I've started that process by mixing a neutral from Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna + Titanium White, then strengthening (or weakening) mid-tones and darks.

No comments:

Post a Comment